From the splendor of Prague to the Gypsy violins of Budapest, you’ll treasure every moment of this memorable Danube River cruise. Enjoy three nights in Prague with guided sightseeing as well as time to explore this marvelous city on your own. Discover the Hradcany Castle grounds, wander through Prague’s Jewish Quarter, shop for hand-cut crystal, savor authentic Czech dumplings, stand in Wenceslaus square where protestors demonstrated against Communism, or visit one of the many churches. Then drive to Nuremberg and set sail for medieval Regensburg, Passau, Vienna, and Budapest, with guided sightseeing in each city. Sail through the fascinating Main Danube Canal and witness the scenic beauty as you cruise past quaint towns. Attend a beer tasting, tour Melk’s splendid Benedictine Abbey, and experience the music, art, culture, and historical sights in romantic Vienna—a memorable vacation!
Travel Best Bets Package Includes
- Round trip airfare from Vancouver to Prague and return from Budapest to Vancouver
- 3 nights Prague hotel at Hilton or InterContinental
- Deluxe 7 night cruise from Nuremberg to Budapest aboard Avalon Visionary / Avalon Tranquility
- Round trip airport transfers
- Meals: Complimentary sparkling wine with breakfast, soft drinks with lunch, and wine, beer, or soft drinks with dinner are included on board your vessel.
- Sightseeing: As outlined in day-by-day itinerary below
Prague: Guided sightseeing, see the Astronomical Clock and visit Hradcany Castle grounds
Nuremberg: Welcome reception; guided sightseeing
Main Danube Canal: Cruise in the canal
Regensburg: Guided sightseeing; beer tasting
Passau: Guided walk
Melk: Guided visit of the Benedictine Abbey
Vienna: Guided sightseeing
Budapest: Guided sightseeing, see Fishermen’s Bastion
October 29 – November 9, 2013
|Outside||French Balcony||Taxes & Fees|
|Optional add on Pre Paid Gratuity for $109 total per person|
June 18: Depart Canada
Day 1 (June 19) Arrive in Prague, Czech Republic
Welcome to Prague, capital of the Czech Republic. The city straddles the Vltava River with domes, cupolas, spires and pinnacles highlighting its skyline. The remainder of the day is free to start exploring.
Day 2 Prague
Prague is a 1,000-year-old city preserved in time. See its best-known treasures such as the Old Town’s Astronomical Clock, once the envy of all of Europe; HRADCANY CASTLE GROUNDS, St. Vitus Cathedral, and the Charles Bridge. Browse the shops for hand-cut crystal or art books. Mix with the locals in Wenceslaus Square or stroll along the Vltava River. (Breakfast)
Day 3 Prague
A free day for you to explore the city at your own pace. Your Cruise Director will have other suggestions for things to do. (Breakfast)
Day 4 Prague–Nuremberg, Germany (Embarkation)
After lunch, drive to Nuremberg, where your river cruise vessel is docked. Before dinner, meet your crew for a welcome reception. (Breakfast, Dinner)
Day 5 Nuremberg
Although Nuremberg suffered extensive damage during WWII, much of it was restored to its original style. Marvel at this historic city with its fabulous gothic churches and elegant patrician houses. Nuremberg’s traditions include its famous Lebkuchen, toy making, and metal working. (Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner)
Day 6 Regensburg
Regensburg is one of Germany’s best preserved medieval cities. Architectural highlights included on your tour are the Old Town Hall and the Porta Pretoria—gates to an ancient Roman fort built in 179 AD. The city is the capital of Upper Palatinate, a bustling university town, and one of Bavaria’s cultural centers. Before dinner we’ll introduce you to some of Germany’s FAMOUS BEERS! (Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner)
Day 7 Passau–Linz, Austria
Passau, ideally located at the confluence of the Rivers Inn, Ilz, and Danube, is a city of graceful arcades and cobblestone streets. St. Stephen’s Cathedral houses one of the world’s largest church organs with more than 17,000 pipes. An optional full-day excursion to Salzburg takes in the popular Sound of Music sights. Linz, Austria’s third-largest town, lies on both banks of the Danube and is an important industrial town and busy river port. (Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner)
Day 8 Melk–Vienna
Melk’s magnificent BENEDICTINE ABBEY dominates the town from its commanding hill site and is one of Europe’s largest monasteries. The view from the terrace over the Danube and surrounding countryside is breathtaking! This evening, arrive in Vienna, known as the “City of Music,” which inspired the creative genius of Mozart, Beethoven, and Strauss. An optional concert is available tonight. (Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner)
Day 9 Vienna
Once the center of the mighty Habsburg Empire, Austria’s capital has much to offer: lavish Hofburg Palace, the impressive Vienna Opera House, the majestic Ringstrasse, and awe-inspiring St. Stephen’s Cathedral, to name just a few of the sights you will enjoy during your city tour. You do not rush through Vienna—you waltz, taking your time to savor each classic sight and sound. Shop in the Kärntnerstrasse and enjoy Sachertorte or Apfelstrudel in a neighborhood café. (Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner)
Day 10 Budapest, Hungary
Budapest, spanning the banks of the Danube, is Eastern Europe’s liveliest and most cosmopolitan metropolis. Eight bridges, including the famous Chain and Elisabeth Bridges, connect ancient Buda on the right bank with Pest on the left. The massive hilltop castle complex with Fishermen’s Bastion and the Matthias Church is among the many sights your Certified Local Guide will show you. Shop for renowned peasant embroidery, Herend porcelain, and paprika. (Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner)
Day 11 Budapest (Disembarkation)
Your vacation ends with breakfast this morning. (Breakfast)
• Due to closure of locks on the Main Danube Canal for maintenance reasons, embarkation for departure April 10 (Imagery) will be in Passau and there will be some modifications to the itinerary. Check with our travel consultants for more information.
• In the event of water level problems or any problems of a technical nature, it may be necessary to operate the itinerary by motorcoach or to alter the program.
• Included visits and special features are subject to change. If a change is necessary, a substitute will be offered.
• Please check visa requirements with your local consulate(s); responsibility for obtaining visas rests with the traveler.
Not Included in the Vacation Price:
Passports; visas and vaccinations; tips to your tour director, tour driver, local city guides; gratuities on ferries, trains and cruise ships; laundry; telephone; mini bar; alcohol, beverages and food not on the regular table d’hôte menu (these extra items will be billed to you before leaving the hotel or restaurant); optional excursions; porterage at airports; travel protection; excess baggage fees; all other items of a personal nature.
River cruising is, quite simply, the best way to see the world’s great cities. Here are the top 5 reasons that your next cruise should be a river cruise:
- Experience world class cities not accessible by ocean cruises.
- Unpack just once, no need to worry about maps or traffic congestion. Better than any bus tour!
- Flat-bottomed shape of river cruise ships ensures a safe and smooth ride without any worries about motion sickness.
- Sail directly to the heart of every destination, walk right off the ship and join the day’s activities.
- A more intimate experience, with only 130 to 300 fellow guests.
Call for details: 1-877-523-7823REQUEST A QUOTE